The £50million Glasgow Guarantee, a Legacy of the Commonwealth Games offers support for training, work, modern apprenticeships and job opportunities for Glasgow people. Since the summer of 2009, almost 6000 Glaswegians between the ages of 16-24 have progressed into employment, apprenticeships or training through a number of initiatives.
The Glasgow Guarantee has now been expanded to include the extension of the eligibility period for apprenticeship places to up to two years of leaving school and widening the graduate element to offer support to college students with qualifications in certain sectors where there is a demonstrable skills shortage, for example Engineering and IT.
These developments will mean that even more young people in Glasgow will have access to jobs, training and apprenticeships which are vital for the City as a whole as it will ensure that not only that our young people will benefit, but they will develop the skills that will be used to generate the city’s prosperity in the decades to come.
Opportunities are available across a range of sectors and job types and many will include additional training such as working towards a Vocational Qualification specific to the employing business. You can access these opportunities, if you are:
• Workless young people who are not in full time education, training or employment
• Eligible from day 1 unemployed
• Open to school leavers or those thinking of leaving school
• Workless adults aged 20-29, including Graduates who are currently unemployed/underemployed and have graduated within the last 12 months
• Workless adults aged 50+
• Workless Armed Forces Veterans